What is a deploy key?
A deploy key is an SSH key that Spectacles generates and securely stores within your Spectacles project. You use this key to grant Spectacles read-only access to your Looker project's repository. Then, Spectacles can read your LookML and run the Style Validator to check your project for style validations.
Generate a deploy key
In Spectacles, navigate to the Settings page by clicking the ⚙️ in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down to the section titled Deploy Key
- Click Get Deploy Key
- Copy the key by clicking Copy to Clipboard
Only one deploy key can be active at a time per project, so save your deploy key somewhere securely when generating it. If you lose it, you'll need to replace it with a new key.
Upload your deploy key
The next step depends on where your Looker project's repository is hosted. You'll need to add the key as a deploy key in your Git repository's settings.
Here are guides for different version control hosting providers:
- GitHub (skip steps #1 and #7)
- GitLab (skip Prerequisites and step #5)
- Bitbucket (follow the steps under Provide Bitbucket Cloud with your public key, skip steps #5-6, instead paste the SSH key you generated in Spectacles above)
If you're using a different version control provider or have trouble with the steps above, reach out to Spectacles Support for help by via our in-app chat or by emailing email@example.com.